Sarah Jane Humke

The life of a traveling, reading, writing, spining and knitting shepherdess.

The past 2 weeks have been hectic here as I get back into the rhythm of classes on campus.  I was also given a “surprise” assistant ship which means that I hadn’t been expecting it at all and threw a massive wrench into the workings of my first week back in school.  However, I am immensely grateful to all of the professors and staff who worked really hard to put it together for me.  You see, I am probably going to have about 6 bosses.  The money for my assistant ship is coming from a plethora of sources and they all get a few hours of me a week.  It’s not a “standard” assistant ship and I know that it took a lot of work and finagling for it to come about the way that it did.

I’ve only been part of the department a few weeks now, but I already feel sort-of part of it.  I have a desk assigned to me which I hadn’t expected.  I’m learning who to talk to about what.  In many ways, it’s a lot like starting a new job.  Really, in a way, it is a new job.  For the next few years, my priority is on learning, not on producing, but it’s just as measurable what with a semester-ly reports of my progress in the form of grades:-)

This last week of school has been a tad more difficult due to two things.  First off, I got the summer cold/sinus infection that has been going around.  How do I know that it’s going around?  Just take a listen in my psych 230 class at all the coughing and honking of noses and you can tell that it’s making the rounds.  Anyway, I’ve been trying to avoid as much extra stuff as I can just to give me a little time to recover and rest.  My first time at Iowa State, I had a cold/cough that kept popping back up week after week for over a semester.  I guess that one of the advantages of age is understanding that if you push yourself too hard while you are still sick you don’t get better. No matter how many wonder drugs you pump yourself full of, the things we need most are time and rest.

The other thing that made my week a little more complicated was that the Iowa State campus had a visit from a sitting President.  Yep. President Obama stood outside my building and gave a speech to more than 6000 people on Tuesday.  This meant that Curtiss Hall (where my department is housed) was essentially closed from Monday afternoon until Tuesday evening as the Secret Service had to do checks for bombs and other security measures prior to the President’s visit.  They also closed streets around campus making the bus schedules a little wonky.  Tuesday I was still feeling really unwell, so I just got to my class in the morning and tried to stay off campus the rest of the day.  There were helicopters flying overhead the entire time that the President was in Ames (he arrived on Marine One from Des Moines where Air Force One landed).  I wish that I could have gone, but given that it was quite hot that day, I’m really glad that I didn’t (see above: rest).

I haven’t taken any photos of my campus yet.  Just wait, I’ve been itching to get my camera there and take some pictures to share with y’all.  It’s a really beautiful campus and I honestly cannot wait to share it with all of you!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: